Biofuels in Canada 2019: Tracking biofuel consumption, feedstocks and avoided greenhouse gas emissions
Navius Research has released the 2019 edition of the “Biofuels in Canada” report. This report uses public data to catalogue the volume of transportation biofuels consumed in each Canadian province while estimating the impact of biofuel consumption on greenhouse gas emissions and transportation energy costs.
- Ethanol consumption has increased from roughly 1,700 million litres in 2010 to 3,047 million litres in 2017, accounting for 6.6% of the volume of fuel consumption in the gasoline pool.
- Renewable fuel consumption in the diesel pool was 702 million litres in 2017, accounting for 2.4% of the diesel fuel consumption volume.
- Annual avoided lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions resulting from biofuel consumption were 5.5 Mt/yr in 2017.
- On net, we estimate that biofuel consumption reduced fuel expenditures in Canada by 0.42% from 2010 through 2017, relative to a counterfactual scenario without biofuel consumption.
- Because of differences in fuel energy density and fuel costs, consumers in Canada have paid more taxes as a result of biofuel blending and consumption, relative to a counterfactual scenario without biofuels. These “additional” taxes have grown to $1.5 billion from 2010 through to the end of 2017.
Download the report or the spreadsheet model.
This study was commissioned and funded by Advanced Biofuels Canada.
To learn more about this research, please contact Michael Wolinetz.
Damage Control: Reducing the costs of climate impacts in Canada
Animal-sourced food consumption and Canada’s emissions targets
Simulating Canada’s 2030 Emissions Reduction Plan
Potential of small modular reactors in hard-to-decarbonize industries
Hitting Canada’s climate targets with biogas & RNG
Under Water: The costs of climate change for Canada’s infrastructure
Informing a strategy for reducing agricultural greenhouse gas emissions in British Columbia
The role of carbon capture and storage in Canada’s net zero future
Canada’s clean energy economy to 2030
Canada’s Clean Fuel Regulations explanation and insights
Towards Canada’s fair share: New modeling and analysis on achieving a stronger climate target
Assessing the impacts of the Conservative Plan to Combat Climate Change
A study on the energy storage market in Canada
Emission and economic implications for Canada of using small modular reactors (SMRs) in heavy industry
Impacts of climate change on Canada’s electricity system
Informing the development of Our Clean Future: a Yukon strategy for climate change, energy and a green economy
Health-related impacts of decarbonization in Canada
What are Canada’s most promising options for reducing greenhouse gas emissions?
Simulating zero emission vehicle adoption and economic impacts in Canada
Meeting Canada’s climate mitigation commitments under the Paris Agreement
Quantifying Canada’s clean energy economy
California and Québec’s ZEV mandates description
Reversing carbon leakage in the Canadian aluminum sector
Supporting the development of CleanBC
Saskatchewan’s carbon tax numbers are in and the answer is … reporting errors
Review of British Columbia’s RLCFRR energy effectiveness ratios
Refining margins and fuel policy in British Columbia
Analysis of the proposed Canadian Clean Fuel Standard
Electrification best practices in Canada
A review of ECCC’s method for estimating upstream GHGs
Refining margins in British Columbia
Greenhouse gas emissions resulting from the Energy East pipeline project
The Renewable and Low Carbon Fuel Requirement Regulation
How do industrial GHG reduction efforts affect demand for skilled labour?
Is British Columbia’s carbon tax good for household income?
How resilient are the Canadian oil sands to carbon constraints?